You must meet the following qualifications and requirements before obtaining a boat dealership license:
- Zoning approval from the township.
- A notarized statement on your letterhead confirming that you will not use the registration for pleasure purposes and that you are not applying for a dealership license to avoid paying sales tax. You must also estimate the number
of new and used boats you will sell in a year.
- A copy of a Certificate of Authority issued by the New Jersey Division of Taxation. To register, call the Division of Taxation at (609) 292-6400.
- If your business is a corporation or an LLC you must submit a copy of your formation or your corporation papers.
- A Certificate of Insurance is required that reflects Yacht Dealer liability – covering demos and test rides on all owned boats.
- A business check for $75 made payable to: New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
- Upon receipt of the above items, an inspection will be conducted. Once approved, you will receive your registration through the mail.
- Download the boat dealer registration
application [859k pdf].
The Chief Administrator of the MVC may suspend or revoke your registration privilege at any time for non-compliance with the statutes and regulations that govern their issuance.